The CIC - Mont Ventoux will not take place for the second year in a row. The French one-day race which revolves around the mythical French climb Mont Ventoux was initially scheduled to return on June 17 with its 6th edition, but the race is eventually called off over financial struggles.
In January, race director Nicolas Garcera told Total Velo that two sponsors had dropped out and a third had significantly reduced the budget. The race organization lost 50,000 euros due to the withdrawal of these sponsors. In addition, the costs for TV production have increased considerably, Garcera now says in an interview with La Provence.
The race was also cancelled last year, but that was because of the Olympic Games in Paris. Garcera hopes to be able to organize the race again in 2026.
The first edition of the CIC - Mont Ventoux took place in 2019, then under the name Mont Ventoux Dénivelé Challenge. The premiere edition was won by Spaniard Jesús Herrada who was succeeded by top climbers such as Aleksandr Vlasov and Miguel Ángel López.
2022 edition was the last to see the race completed in its full length with winner Rúben Guerreiro. Two years ago, the race was notably cut down to just 98 kilometers with only one ascent of Mont Ventoux. That race witnessed the rise of then a young prodigy Lenny Martinez.