“There is nothing left in the battery for him this year” – Former Tour de France stage winner backs Jonas Vingegaard’s decision to end 2026 season

Cycling
Monday, 17 August 2026 at 12:15
Jonas Vingegaard crosses the line on stage 17 of the 2026 Giro d'Italia
Former Tour de France stage winner Nicki Sorensen has backed Jonas Vingegaard’s decision to end his 2026 season, insisting the Dane had already emptied the tank before his Tour de France crash brought the year to a premature close.
Team Visma | Lease a Bike confirmed on Monday that Vingegaard will not race again this year as he continues to recover from the collarbone fracture suffered on stage 15 of the Tour. The decision ends any prospect of a late-season return and shifts his focus towards 2027.
Sorensen believes the call was entirely logical given the volume of racing, altitude work and preparation Vingegaard had already packed into the season.
“For me, it is completely understandable,” the TV 2 Sport cycling expert said. “He has really gone for it this year and raced a lot, and he has also approached the whole thing very, very seriously. For a large part of the time when he hasn’t been racing, he has been at altitude training camps.”

“There is nothing left in the battery”

Vingegaard had already completed one of the heaviest programmes of his career before the Tour crash. He won Paris-Nice and the Volta a Catalunya before taking five stages and overall victory at the Giro d’Italia, completing his collection of all three Grand Tours.
Just five weeks later he started the Tour de France in pursuit of the Giro-Tour double, only for a stage 15 crash to leave him with the fractured collarbone that ultimately ended his season.
Sorensen says he had already expected the Tour to mark the end of Vingegaard’s season even before the injury intervened. “I had actually expected that once his Tour de France was over, we wouldn’t see any more of him,” he said. “Then he crashes and abandons halfway through the race, but they have chosen to end his season anyway, and I completely understand that.”
The former Danish champion, who won a Tour de France stage during his own career, believes Vingegaard had already pushed far enough for one season. “There is nothing left in the battery for him this year, so he just needs to look ahead,” Sorensen concluded.
Jonas Vingegaard hugs his children on the final podium of the 2026 Giro d'Italia in Rome
Vingegaard completed the set of Grand Tour titles with his Giro win earlier this year

Visma already looking towards 2027

Visma have now shifted Vingegaard’s programme fully towards 2027 after confirming that the collarbone injury delayed his return to training too much for another race block this year.
“Due to the collarbone injury, the start of my training has been delayed and it is not possible for me to get back to top level in the coming period,” Vingegaard said in Visma’s announcement. “The focus is on preparing optimally for the goals of the 2027 season. I will discuss these specific goals with the team in the coming period.”
Sports director Marc Reef said Visma had always planned to reassess Vingegaard’s programme after the Tour, with the crash and collarbone fracture ultimately settling the question.
Vingegaard closes 2026 with overall victories at Paris-Nice, the Volta a Catalunya and the Giro d’Italia, alongside five Giro stage wins, before his Tour challenge ended in France.
His next race will come in 2027, with Visma and Vingegaard set to decide the major targets of that campaign over the coming weeks.
claps 0visitors 0
loading

Just in

Popular news

Latest comments

Loading